Broody joined 488 (New Zealand) Squadron on 04/ix/43 with W/Cdr Peter Hamley AFC, who he had paired up with for the majority of his time at 51 OTU. W/Cdr Hamley was joining the squadron as it’s new Commanding Officer, replacing W/Cdr. P.R.Burton-Gyles who was moving on to take command of 23 Squadron in Malta.
Despite the fact the squadron badge carries the name “Royal New Zealand Air Force”, it was not a RNZAF squadron. 488 (New Zealand) Squadron was in fact a squadron of the Royal Air Force formed under article XV of The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (1939).
The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was drawn up to address a shortage of aircrew, and to circumvent the difficulties of training up the large number of aircrew required by the Royal Air Force in the UK by establishing overseas training schools to provide commonwealth aircrew who would go on to serve with the Royal Air Force in squadrons formed under article XV. In a nutshell – Commonwealth countries would provide aircrew who would be administrated by, fly for, and be paid by, the Royal Air Force in squadrons generally populated by citizens of that country. In reality, many of these squadrons were manned by a mixed bag of commonwealth citizens. Other New Zealand squadrons of the Royal Air Force formed under article XV were 485, 486, 487, 489 & 490
488 Squadron had previously operated as a separate entity between September 1941 and March 1942 in Singapore as a Day Fighter Squadron equipped with Brewster Buffaloes. The squadron was reformed in the UK in June 1942 as a night fighter squadron, initially equipped with Beaufighters and operating in an offensive “intruder” role. The unit switched to a defensive role in August 1943, operating De Havilland Mosquitos. The squadron was based at several UK airfields until it moved to France, and then Holland before disbanding in April 1945.
The squadron’s motto “Ka ngarue ratau”, translates from Maori to “We shake them”